Did you know Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church consists of not only the sanctuary but approximately 15 acres of land, the Church House, Bryan Neck Church (on a two acre lot), Bryan Neck Cemetery, and the Burnt Church Cemetery?
The Burnt Church Cemetery is on 144 near the County Annex. In 1830, the Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church was established, making it the oldest organized congregation in Bryan County. The church served the numerous plantar families of lower Bryan, which had become one of the most productive agricultural sections on the south Atlantic coast. The church burial ground was adjacent to the wood-frame sanctuary. On these grounds are interred members of some of Bryan County's most prominent early families, including those of Clay, McAllister (as in General McAllister) and Maxwell. The original church accidentally burned in 1882 and a new building was built in 1885 several miles east, near Keller. Today that church is considered the oldest public building in Bryan County and has services on the first and third Sunday of the month at 8:30 am.
The Burnt Church Cemetery remains at the original site and includes the graves of the churches' prominent early members. This cemetery is the only one in Richmond Hill that allows non-church members to be buried there, thus serving as an outreach to the community. It is laid out in three areas - the historical section in the middle, the older sections on either side, and the most recent area opened in the back half. We currently have 996 plots available. Recently, the Session voted to approve funding to have some pavers added for aesthetics. There is a Master Plan for future improvements that will be completed as plots are sold and funding becomes available.
Church members are given a $200 discount off the plot cost of $1200 ($1000 in the older side areas where there are a few plots left). If you are interested in purchasing a plot or know someone who might be, contact Deanna Hardy at 912-727-2646 or speak to Janie Moore, Phil Corbin, or Lisa Yackel.